17 December, 2013

Daddy Continued

Another thing that he did once that struck me: we were leaving a shopping mall car park in KL and it was one of those ones where you pay the attendant in the booth as you drive out. As the attendant handed him his change, a 1 cent coin fell onto the road. Daddy drove on. Then after a while he said, "That's the first time in my life I've ever not picked up money that I dropped." You can tell he is from that generation of Malaysian parents who grew up during the war and who never waste anything, especially food. He would always eat the plate absolutely clean of every grain of rice and faithfully save any leftovers to be bungkused. He was always berating us for not eating our chicken bones clean enough - just as I now berate my children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home